Ramban (Jammu and Kashmir) [India], August 30 (ANI): At least four people were killed and one was reported missing after a cloudburst hit the Rajgarh area of Ramban district in Jammu and Kashmir on Saturday, officials said.
A search and rescue operation has been launched to provide immediate relief to the victims.
Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) of Ramban, Arun Gupta, said, "Four bodies have been recovered, while another one is missing. We are trying to trace them. The sudden cloudburst triggered flash floods in the Natna area, causing damage to a house and a school besides disrupting normal life in the area."
He further said that efforts are being made to provide immediate relief to the families of the victims.
"Efforts are being made to provide immediate relief to the families of the victims, while search and rescue operations continue under the supervision of DC, SSP and ASP, who reached the spot early morning today," the SSP Ramban said.
Ramban has been grappling with heavy rainfall and flash floods.
According to the IMD, isolated heavy rainfall is likely to continue over Jammu and Kashmir from August 30 to September 2, while light to moderate rainfall is predicted in parts of Jammu and Kashmir, Ladakh, Gilgit-Baltistan, Muzaffarabad, and Uttarakhand during the next four days.
The Regional Meteorological Centre has issued an orange alert for Ramban, Rajouri, Jammu, Reasi, Udhampur, Poonch, Kathua, and other districts, warning of very heavy rainfall for today. Similar alerts have been put in place for the upcoming days.
Earlier on Friday, the Indian Air Force (IAF) intensified its flood relief and rescue operations in Northern India with a primary focus on the severely affected Jammu and Punjab regions, the Ministry of Defence said.
Mi-17 and Chinook helicopters have conducted more than 55 sorties to extract stranded civilians, including personnel from the Indian Army and Border Security Force, from inundated areas in Dera Baba Nanak, Pathankot, and Akhnoor sectors.
Transport aircraft (C-130) have been deployed to facilitate the rapid movement of specialised NDRF teams into the affected zones, the ministry said. Further, it said that the "operations have enabled the rescue of 215 individuals and delivered 7,300 kgs of essential relief material in the affected areas in the past three days." (ANI)
You may also like
'Stick with devil you know': Late Queen Elizabeth II opposed Brexit - new book reveals
'A beautiful life': Kim Jong Un vows care for Russia war martyrs' families; bows before mourning kin
Boy, 16, jumped on by cops as he brandished costume gun near Premier League game
Tragic boy, 12, confirmed dead after falling in playground
Cash-for-jobs case: SSC publishes list of 'tainted' candidates as after SC order